Are your gas appliances safe?

Posted on 23/09/2014 by

0



Did you know that last week was Gas Safety Week? Me neither, there was quite a lot happening – but it’s not too late to check that your gas appliances are safe … 

gasResearch shows many homes have an unsafe gas appliance – risking fire or carbon monoxide poisoning, and firefighters are supporting the call to the public to help prevent tragedies by ensuring gas appliances are always properly maintained.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) has thrown its weight behind Gas Safety Week – the nationwide campaign aiming to raise awareness of gas safety issues.

Assistant Chief Officer Lewis Ramsay, director of prevention and protection, said: “The effects of a gas escape or carbon monoxide poisoning can be absolutely devastating.

“In the last year alone 343 people were injured and 10 people died in the UK as a result of gas related incidents.

“This follows previous information from Gas Safe Register which revealed that around one in five homes in Scotland has an unsafe gas appliance.

“It also found one in 20 would be considered immediately dangerous – meaning they could cause a fire, an explosion or a potentially fatal leak of toxic fumes.

“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer that you can’t see, taste or smell. It is the unnoticeable result of fuel not being properly burned and it can kill very, very quickly.

“Every home which has gas appliances should have carbon monoxide alarms fitted to ensure that in the event of a leak everyone gets warning of the danger.

“The threat of explosion or fire is real and the simple fact is anyone who uses gas heating or other appliances should ensure these are regularly serviced and properly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer.“

Gas Safety Week runs from 15 to 21 September and is coordinated by Gas Safe Register – the official list of engineers who are qualified to work legally and safely on gas appliances.

It advises the public is to have appliances checked every year, with a reminder service and information about specific local dangers available online at http://www.StayGasSafe.co.uk.

People should check for any of the warning signs an appliance may not be working correctly, such as a lazy yellow flame, black marks or stains around the appliance, or too much condensation in the room.

Knowing the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness – could also save lives.

To find a Gas Safe registered engineer and for further gas safety advice visit http://www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.

Advertisements