Three hospitalised following chip pan fire

Posted on 01/03/2014 by



A man, a woman and a young child were taken to hospital this morning (1 March) following an early morning chip pan fire in Elbe Street.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) Watch Manager Stuart Sinclair, the incident commander, said: “A fire in an unattended chip pan had caused a large amount of smoke to fill the kitchen and other parts of the flat.

“Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly put out the flames using a fire blanket and fire-fighting hose reel and our crews provided oxygen therapy to the woman and the child who had suffered smoke inhalation and to the man who had suffered smoke inhalation and burns.

“Thankfully this home was protected by a working smoke alarm and the residents of the flat were able to get out. A neighbour, on hearing the alarm, called 999.”

After receiving treatment by firefighters at the scene, the man, woman and child were assessed by ambulance personnel before being taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further treatment.


Traditional chip pans are known to be a fire risk and SFRS has urged anyone who still uses one to consider switching to a modern electric fryer, which will have a safety switch to prevent it overheating.

If you’re tired, have been drinking, or taking drugs, don’t cook. You will be less alert to the signs of fire, and more likely to fall asleep.

Firefighters are also clear that working smoke alarms save lives and buy time for crews to tackle fires before heat, smoke and flames can spread throughout a home.

People have also been asked to consider fitting a heat alarm within the kitchen – the room where most house fires start.

Free home fire safety visits only take around half an hour. A key part of the Join Scotland’s Fight Against Fire campaign, they have proven immensely popular with more than 56,000 completed across the country last year.

Anyone who thinks they or someone they know – like an elderly relative, friend or neighbour – could benefit from the expert advice of firefighters from their own community should call 0800 0731 999 or text ‘check’ to 61611.

People can also fill out a form at or contact their local community fire station.